From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:51:15 +0000
   Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
      Kreisleriana, Opus 16

Rafael Orozco, piano
Recorded 1976
Philips Solo 442653 [79:36]
w/Fantasy in C (Orozco) & Sonata No. 2 (Varsi)

It never ceases to amaze me that Schumann composed Kreisleriana in a
mere four days in April 1838.  That was a highly productive year for
Schumann, as he also completed the Fantasy and Sonata No.  2 in 1838.

The disc at hand is a document of the above three works, and each is
a marvel of the Romantic Age.  Although this review only covers Rafael
Orozco's recording of Kreisleriana, I can confidently state that the
other two works receive performances of a similar quality to Orozco's
Kreisleriana.

How good is Orozco's interpretation?  Very good indeed.  He gives
Florestan a strong and impetuous personality and is particularly fine
at conveying the interaction and musical arguments between Florestan and
Eusebius.  My sole reservation is that Orozco can be a little quick in
the Eusebius music with a somewhat reduced degree of poignancy.  This
effect takes hold in the 1st Movement's Interlude where Eusebius is
represented by the upper voice that luxuriates more in other versions.

In the 2nd Movement, Orozco's impetuous delivery of the first Interlude is
highly effective, and he slows down sufficiently in the primary section
to convey the depth of thought possessed by Eusebius.  Orozco gallops
through the 3rd Movement's primary section in compelling fashion, but
the Interlude's rapture could be more incisive.

As Orozco progresses through Kreisleriana, the established pattern holds
true to form with Orozco's Florestan consistently more engaging than his
Eusebius.  As such, the 5th Movement, which is pretty much Florestan's
show throughout, receives Orozco's best reading.  His 7th Movement is
also outstanding with a dynamite Toccata section, although the comforting
conclusion is rather perfunctory in his hands.  I also take exception
to the very long pause between the 7th and 8th Movements.  However,
Orozco does use an interesting rhythmic sequence in the primary section
of the last Movement.  Sound quality throughout is graphic with minimal
hiss and interference.

Don's Conclusions: Not a 'Hall of Fame' performance, Rafael Orozco's
reading of Kreisleriana is among the better versions on record and worthy
of inclusion in your music library as are the other two performances on
the disc.  I haven't personally seen the disc at local record stores,
but it is readily available at Internet sales sites such as Arkiv which
has a quick turnaround for recordings they identify as being in stock.
Unlike most other sites, 'in stock' means just that with Arkiv.

If Orozco is appealing, there are other fine recordings featuring his
artistry including a set of the Rachmaninov Piano Concertos on Philips
and a few Valois recordings of Spanish composers and a Schubert Piano
Sonata D. 960 disc.

Don Satz