From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 13:01:26 -0400
Walter Meyer inquires,

>I know that there's at least one arrangement of the work for string
>quarter by Roy Harris. Are there others?  Do the players in those
>arrangements need to switch instruments as described in the novel
>I just finished?

Well Walter, I'm insulted.  A couple of years ago, I noted on this List
how impressed I was with The Art of the Fugue in an arrangement by Robert
Simpson performed by the Delme Quartet on the Hyperion label.  This came
after having heard recordings on the organ that left me wondering what
the "big deal" was about the work. [Ahem, since hearing noted organist
Lawrence Molinaro perform it live, I've had the opportunity to review
my earlier impression].  So, yes, there are arrangements for string
quartet other than the one you mention.  Simpson, by the way, arranged
the work for a normal quartet- it doesn't require "detuning" a special
viola or whatever.

As I recall, when this subject was discussed a couple of years back,
someone mentioned some excellent recordings on organ.  I guess I'm old
enough to forget such things, so if anyone would care to mention some
of the best organ recordings of this work, I'd be appreciative.  FWIW
(for what it's worth) the opinion also was expressed that the Delme
quartet's recording lacked some of the depth of a recording by, I believe,
the Emerson String Quartet, which used an arrangement that included some
type of special viola [Delme's recording is well respected, however].

Larry