From:
"William F. Dishman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:44:49 -0400
I attended the Jacksonville Symphony (Florida) performance last night
of Mahler #6.  While there were some excellent aspects to the performance
in my opinion, there were also some rather poor elements as well.  A
good performance for this orchestra and very enjoyable but not standing
ovation quality according to my own personal standards.  Yet the almost
obligatory standing ovation was there.  I rationalized as a good step
for this orchestra which really is very good, along its development.

As a performer in a more local orchestra, and not near the quality of
Jacksonville, we know when the group has played "above and beyond" and
a standing ovation that is unwarranted does nothing for us.  At the same
time, when we have done particularly well on a challenging and troublesome
composition, we feel good about it whether the audience stands or not.

Regarding the Mahler performance, I had a great time as I do anytime I
get to go to a live performance.  I commend Jax Symphony for the literature
and bringing a good performance to us the public.  Keep it up.  Made my
week to hear them last night.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida