From:
Carrow McCarn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:05:47 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I find the set largely a 'hit or miss' affair.  Often, Jacob is
>rather stodgy with his slow tempos and rounded contours.  But sometimes
>he displays enhanced vitality and delivers absolutely transcendent
>interpretations.  Overall, his playing has a 'sweet' quality to it that
>will appeal to some more than others.

If all the "complete sets" I've heard, Werner Jacob's is my favorite.

His superb legato and his warm and technically secure performances also
are recorded on a variety of period instruments, including a couple that
Bach played (Hildebrandt organs in Stormthal and Naumburg [before it was
restored and when it still had a non-tracker action]).  Many of the
recordings were made as a joint venture between EMI and VEB Deutsche
Schallplatten, the government owned recording company of the old GDR.

You are right to lament that the CD reissue doesn't tell you anything
about Jacob.  I think that he is now about 65, and he at least was the
organist at the Sebalduskirche in Nuremberg.  I haven't seen the new
reissue.  I hope that EMI provides information about the various pipe
organs.

I like the Rogg set, too, but the Jacob is my favorite single complete
set.

Carrow McCarn