From:
Philip Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:20:45 +0100
Rudolph Tang wrote:

>I have bought some CDs of J.S.Bach, not many.  Besides the authoritative
>Helmut Walcha playing Great Organ Works releades by DG,

I have his complete Bach irgan works and like it too but I doubt if this
can be called *authoritative* in the light of other interpretations.

>>I also own Sonatas & Partitas with Milstein as soloist (EMI) and Complete
Violin Sonatas BWV1014-1023 (Philips, Grumiaux).

Two of the best sets of non-HIP versions IMO.  There are more.  And why not
also listen to thegreat HIP-performances of Rachel Podger and Lucy Van
Dael?

>This I am particularly proud of:
>St.Matthew Passion conducted by Helmuth Rilling(hassler).  His Complete
>Orchestral Suites is of equal brilliance.  At present times I am looking
>for the Mass in B minor.  I intend to buy a Karl Richter one, but fail to
>find it in the market.  Any suggestion?

It should be available.  If you are so enthusiastic about Rilling's
SMP you might have equal if not more appreciationfor his h-moll Messe
(including singers like Sibylla Rubens, Juliane Banse, Andreas Schmit &
Thomas Quasthoff).  Still classics:  Richter (maybe his best achievement),
Klemperer and for HIP Herreweghe's second recording is highly recommended
and itis also at least illuminating to hear Rifkin's OVVP version.

But there is so much more to discover and it's no use listing all of it
here....

Philip