From:
Scott Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:51:43 -0500
I wrote a review of this CD a year ago at amazon.com  here:

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000BV163/classicalnet/

I was particularly impressed by the Sonata, which I don't ever recall
having heard before.  An excerpt from my review:

   "The big piece here, although not in length--that distinction
   goes to the collection of preludes--is the First Piano Sonata,
   Op. 12. Still quite early in Shostakovich's output, it uses
   fairly radical methods, sounding much later than it actually
   is. In one movement constructed in three more or less discrete
   sections, it begins with a dissonant (actually, polytonal but
   with unequal emphasis on the key of C major) storm that rages
   with quartal and tritonal harmonies. A quieter, slower but
   no less unsettling section follows with a grotesque funeral
   march tread. Downward scale passages, set against a trudging
   bass, become contrapuntal and eventually the whole thing, via
   a dreamlike passage, grinds to a halt before gradually gathering
   steam again and building up to an insistent repetition of
   C-sharp against attempts to resolve into C major. This is a
   formally quite sophisticated composition that presages some
   of the techniques used much later in Shostakovich's symphonies
   (his 8th and 11th, say) and quartets (several of the later
   ones). Quite an accomplishment for the 20-year-old Shostakovich.
   And Scherbakov plays the socks off it.

   The recorded sound is warm and spacious. I've been very
   impressed with the sound of the piano in these Scherbakov/Naxos/Marco
   Polo discs. Further, Scherbakov is fast becoming one of my
   favorite pianists--his recent Rachmaninov 'Second Piano Sonata'
   is a treasure--and certainly one I'll be watching over the
   years to come. "

Scott Morrison