From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:09:45 -0700
Don Satz writes:

>Since I'm the one who speaks up most frequently for Brendel, I'll continue
>with that tradition.  As I was reading Felix's comments, I was thinking of
>Brendel's Haydn series and his recording of Schubert's D.959 on Philips
>(first recording).  They're perfect, revelatory, and display supreme
>mastery.  Brendel's pacing, drama, lightness and playfulness when called
>for, and concept of these works is what music is all about for me.

I agree wholeheartedly with Don here.  I bought Brendel's performance of
the last 3 Schubert sonatas, along with the three Klavierstucke (D.946,
I believe), a few years back and I absolutely adore them.  I have yet to
hear a better performance of Schubert's final sonata.  Maybe Brendel is not
the greatest Beethoven player in the world but to say that, overall, he is
"too much this" and/or "too little that" is a pushing it a little.  I would
bet these critics of Brendel have yet to hear these performances Don and
I speak of.  Maybe they have but I would be a little suspicious of any
negative comments about them.  Then again, as I have said so often, it's
all a matter of taste.

--Wes