From:
Eric Nagamine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:05:04 -1000
Deryk Barker wrote:

>My favourite 4th right now - although it has been a very lucky symphony
>on record - is the 1958 Philharmonia/Kletzki (EMI or Royal Classics) w
>Emmy Loose.  Wonderful performance in every respect, with no major pulling
>around of the music, Loose is superb, the recording is very good and this
>was one of Denis Brain's last recordings - he died less than 2 months
>later.

Excellent interpretation, but I find the Phiharmonia not to be a great
Mahler ensemble.  Too anemic sounding.  Dennis Brain (2 n's)was great
player, but I don't think he sounds as good in the style as Alan Civil
was to do for Klemperer.

According to various discographies, the Kletzki sessions were actually
completed on June 17, 1957 and Brain died on September 1, 1957, more like
2 1/2 months later.  He participated in at least more 12 sessions (about 10
LPs) between 6/17 and mid july.  They sure were busy in the Philharmonia
back then.

Aloha and Mahalo,

Eric Nagamine