From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:57:13 -0700
Edgar writes:

>I am wondering, have the composers and/or arrangers
>ever taken a film score and retructured it in symphonic or sonata form,
>thereby allowing it to stand on its own.

Well hello Edgar, one of the loveliest pieces in concerto literature is
Korngold's Violin Concerto, constructed of themes used in the the movie
scores of "Another Dawn," "Juarez," "Anthony Adverse," and "The Prince and
the Pauper."

Barber/Korngold Violin Concertos  Shaham/Previn  DG 439886

If you are a VW fan, his 7th Symphony includes music from his movie scores.

>...film music can best be appreciated while viewing and listening to
>the actual film, IMO.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Bernard Hermann's film music, recently recorded
with Solonen and the LA Philharmonic, on its own terms.  IMHO, I would hate
to pass the music up just because it is bereft of images.

John Smyth