From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 23:33:02 -0800
Don Satz wrote about the music of J.S. Bach:

>There isn't a piece of his music I don't identify with.  I usually get
>a chuckle out of some Bach lovers who tend to let everyone know how Bach
>*should* be played.  I just want to listen to Bach performances which enter
>my soul and make me feel that I'm his musical soulmate.

I totally agree with my friend Don Satz.  If I had to choose one composer
whose music I identify with most of all, it has to be good ol' Bach.  I
also don't believe it has anything to do with getting everything I want.
What I get from his music is so important to me on so many levels; it has
significantly changed my life.

I think I am picky about performances.  When it comes to Bach I am *VERY*
picky.  Not that I claim to know how Bach should be performed (I don't
think anyone really KNOWS how it is supposed to be performed) but I do know
what I like and what I like is a performance that affects me on some level
or another.  I like what Don said about performances that enter the soul.
This is the key to a Bach performance to me.  With music of many other
composers, I can be initially satisfied with a good recording and a
decent-sounding performance until I decide that it doesn't do anything
for me after repeated listening.  Often times, with Bach's music, this
is apparent to me right away.  Cheers to Mr. Bach, what a guy!!!

Wes Crone ([log in to unmask])