From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:32:26 -0500
Bernard Chasan:

>You can hardly separate out the world of classical recordings from the
>world of concerts, at least as far as orchestras and opera companies are
>concerned.  I suspect that American orchestras get by largely but not
>exclusively on private philanthropy, but European orchestras and opera
>houses are largely subsidized by governments.

Quite.  But how about adding to that, Private philathropy mostly should
not be seen as pure altruism but as something undertaken to derive advantage
from tax breaks.  In that sense these philanthropies which purport to
support music are themselves state-supported (=tax-supported).  Moreover,
were it not for subsidized orchestras as well as opera houses, ballet
companies, and choruses, the record industry would have a hard time,
indeed, delivering classical music involving large forces.  Conceivably
they could attempt to retreat to a diet of stuff performed by pickup
forces otherwise out of jobs.  But could this last? Would the prospect of
tramp-performing draw anyone to the business--other than performers with
careers already committed to it? One cannot help fearing, that without
subsidies, which one way or another involve the state, the whole present
system weould unravel, from musical education on up to professional
musicianship,including such as that which goes into making recordings.

Denis Fodor                     Internet:100766.2076@compuserve