From:
Bernard Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:31:12 EST
Joycelyn Wang writes:

>They (repeat signs) merely indicate that the composer has directed
>that the passage be repeated.  Repetition is a staple of music, and the
>composer's instruction that a passage be repeated is his prerogative to
>lay the necessary thematic foundation for his piece, give it structural
>balance, or serve whatever purpose that is his and only his decision to
>make.

My only objection to Jocelyns "manditory" position on composers' repeat
instructions simply ignores the reality of working musicians' approach to
repeats and their personal determination whether the repeat adds to the
presentation.  While I agree that repeats are a time honored tradition
for composers, the time honored tradition for musicians is to ignore or
honor repeats as they see fit.  While Joycelyn may object to the various
practices, free interpretation of musical literature in all manners is the
staple of much musical performance including jazz, certainly a legitimate
musical endeavor IMHO.  I believe you should have it your way when you
control the performance.

Joycelyn's message was the inspiration for a lively discussion with my wife
relating to who legitimatly gets the opportunity to edit both music and
text for the sake of political correctness, a practice which irritates our
church choir director when so instructed by the minister.  However, that is
another matter.

Bernard Gregoire
Hingham, MA