From:
Todd Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 19:16:04 -0600
Ron Chaplin wrote:

>I recently got an e-mail from Amazon advertising "The NPR Guide to Building
>a Classical CD Collection." I was wondering if anyone else has it and what
>they think of it.

I have it and don't find it particularly helpful even for the novice.
To say that it doesnt' dig too deeply into the repetoire would be an
understatement.  It doesn't even scratch the surface, and from my viewpoint
it just randomly singles out works and recordings.  Good if you are from
another planet.  When I first started listening to classical music, I found
Jim Svedjas book to be much more helpful, and dependable

Todd Townsend