From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 09:00:04 -0600
Deryk Barker wrote:

>I reviewed these for Soundstage magazine a couple of years ago. You
>can find my review at
>
> http://www.soundstage.com/music/reviews/rev135.htm

Just read your review.  You mention Harold Schonberg's comments
regarding the Ampicos.  In his review of our Welte transfer of the
Bloomfield Zeisler, he was, as far as I know, for the first time, lending
some credence to a roll recording.  "That she was great can easily be
believed from this piano-roll transfer.  There is a kind of authority
that immediately hits the listener, and it was recognized in her own
time...Piano rolls often can be anonymous, metronomic, dull; but not here.
A trememndous personality comes through, and a technique that must have
made many of her male colleagues whimper."

Karl (shamelessly plugging one of his issues)