From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 21:41:51 PST
Stephen Heersink wrote:

>Ron Ackermann mentions that it is time to stop qualifying Naxos with the
>pejorative "for the price," and he's right.

I don't think Naxos will ever get out of the "for the price" category
because of the dramatic price differential between its offerings and the
premium priced labels.  It really stands out and likely is the basic reason
why new buyers get acquainted with Naxos.  Besides, when my wife sees a
Naxos cd, I'm going to keep reminding her of its low price.  She's very
impressed with the $5.99 tag.  So is my son.  He's always looking for Naxos
when he's in the mood to buy, and the price combined with my recommendation
seems to satisfy him.

>I have over 2,000 CDs, and I am happy to report a good third of them are
>Naxos.

Considering all the labels to choose from, that's one big percentage.  I
tend to purchase by composer; Bach probably consititutes over 10 percent of
my total.  Considering all the composers to choose from, that's another big
percentage.

Don Satz