From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:07:36 +0000
Kim Patrick Clow initiated this thread, frustrated that the new Hummel
sacred choral disc on Naxos still is not at the Towers store although
the US release date was 15 June.

My understanding of release dates is that a disc might be in the store
on that date, might not.  I also am interested in this disc and haven't
seen it yet at the local Borders in Albuquerque.  However, I'm confident
it will show up eventually.  My main point is that "release dates" and
dates when a store has the disc on the shelves are often two different
things.

Whenever I'm dying to have a particular disc and it isn't in the store
when I go there after the release date, I buy two alternative discs to
massage my emotional distress.  That's good for the record companies
and good for me - not the bank account, but that's a different subject.

Admittedly, I am not all that hungry for the Hummel disc.  Hummel is
Hummel, and I already own much of his music.  The most rewarding Hummel
recordings I have are a Chandos disc of piano concertos played by Stephen
Hough, an Hyperion of string quartets, and a 2cd set on MDG of piano
trios.  I tend to think of him as one of the best composers of the
transitional period between the classical and romantic eras; same for
Louis Spohr.

Don Satz