From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 08:09:34 -0500
Aaron J. Rabushka:

>Good recordings: Ferras/Pretre, Mutter Levine. OK but not great:
>Suk/Ancerl. Avoid: Szeryng/Kubelik (surprisingly flat given the talent
>that's participating).

Oy!  That's my favorite one.  Of course, I'm not a tremendous fan of the
work itself.  However, Szeryng and especially Kubelik make it sound like
music to me.  I agree about Ferras/Pretre, but Suk/Ancerl (two favorite
performers who this time surprised the hell out of me) bores me stiff.
They're pretty stiff themselves here and symbolize for me what's wrong
with every other recording of the concerto I've heard.

Steve Schwartz