From:
Todd Michel McComb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:18:26 -0800
Tim Mahon writes:

>My problem is, I can't make up my mind where I stand on HIP.

This issue has taken on an almost crystalline clarity for me.  HIP has
given us a lot of great ways to hear this music, ways in which we had not
been hearing it.  It has lended insights, and it has increased the palette
of the repertory.  That fact says nothing about the artistic worthiness
of other approaches, and indeed HIP by its nature will have increasingly
little new to say.  In many cases, it will cease being exciting, at least
without a healthy dose of performer creativity involved, and at that point
I will cease being interested.

Todd McComb