From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:29:14 -0400
Larry Sherwood writes:

>A few weeks ago, someone claimed Mozart lacked emotion.  The thought
>crossed my mind that perhaps she had momentarily confused Mozart and
>Reger,.....

Have you heard Reger's Mozart Variations and Fugue for orchestra? This work
is everything but "cold"!  Lovely music indeed...

Don Satz:

>I don't recall the source, but I read many years ago that Reger supposedly
>never shed a tear when playing or listening to music - that's my kind of
>guy.  This crying penchant over music is something I've never understood.

Good to know that I'm not the only guy here on the "dry" side ;-)

Concerning the Op.1 question, I would answer Brahms' first piano sonata
and Corelli's 12 Trio Sonatas Op. 1, which are part of the "mainstream"
baroque chamber repertoire (if there's such a thing!).  Recently, I
discovered Einojuhani Rautavaara's "Fiddlers for string orchestra", a work
that is a repertoire piece in...  Finland.  You can find a good recording
of this colorful work on a Naxos CD entitled "Finnish Orchestral
Favorites".  Great stuff!

Daniel Beland