From:
Jon Lewis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:43:58 -0400
Bob Daper wrote:

>I'll stick with with Eno. 'Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy' is one of
>the greatest albums ever made in my view.  Anyway one piece of Eno's music
>is heard everyday by hundreds of thousands of people.  Even Mozart can't
>claim that.
>
>Can you guess what that piece is?

I'll try to be first and win the set of Oblique Strategies cards: it's
the little 1.5 second sound the computer makes when you start up Windows.
I was pretty disappointed when I heard it actually-- thousands of composers
could've written that bland little soundbite.  Though knowing Eno that was
probably the point.

While on the subject, it's my belief that anyone who loves Rautavaraa's
Cantus Arcticus would also love Eno's Ambient 4: On Land, from the early
80's.  For me, the best "ambient" record by anyone ever, and certainly the
most quietly menacing (the use of frogsong must be heard to be believed).

I have the recent Bang On A Can "real instruments" (ie Tomita in reverse)
recording of Music for Airports but I still haven't formed an opinion on
it.

Jon Lewis