From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 22:15:43 -0500
Andrys Basten writes:

>I enjoyed David's note, and while one composer dismissed the piece as some
>kind of command to composers, it was, to me, a plea.

Well, we know of at least a couple people who won't be fighting over
tickets to this fall's LMF concerts in Bucharest!

Earlier tonight I lucked into a bluegrass jam session next to my grocery
store.  I was one of the few who wasn't playing.  By way of a stream of
consciousness that I will not reproduce here it recalled a mindset that I
acquired in spite of myself several decades ago--that is, to appreciate
many kind of music I need to remember that its performers are not playing
for me.

People who understand theory may pick up things in music that those who
don't never will.  On the other hand, any piece of music whose enjoyment
depends on knowledge of its theoretical processes for enjoyment is a
failure.  Even Xenakis'.  How many of our Art of Fugue and Well-Tempered
clavier fans actually follow everything that goes on in every contrapuntal
voice?

It's too bad that those who plead for music to love often shut it out when
it is so close to them.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk