From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:17:21 +0000
Steve Schwartz responds to Glenn Miller:

>>I wonder about that now because I am now seeing Naxos selling for $8.99 a
>>CD (7.99 in most places) when they used to sell for $5.99.
>
>Well, sure, if you're buying from amazon.com or in a walk-in-store.  But
>there are other places.  CDNow, for example, sells Naxos for $5.49.

I don't think Steve is correct about these prices.  First, CDNow and
Amazon have joined forces; they have the same prices.  Second, their
regular price for a new Naxos CD is $7.99.  There are subsidiary sellers
through CDNow/Amazon who might offer a Naxos disc at less money, and
perhaps that is the area that Steve is thinking of concerning a price
as low as $5.49 (likely used product).  However, these lower than regular
retail prices from the Subs.  also apply to all other record labels as
well.  I routinely get discs from CDNow/Amazon subs.  for less than the
price attached to the Amazon offering.

No matter how I look at it, Naxos discs aren't the great deal they used
to be.  Fortunately, the company also has a reputation for good recordings,
and it will be interesting to see if Naxos keeps its percentage of the
current classical market.

Don Satz