From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:44:19 +0000
John Smyth writes about the SACD format:

>I'm just excited about the new technology and wanted to urge you gentlemen
>to take a listen.

I did just that over the past weekend at a friend's house.  Yes, it
definitely sounds better, but not sufficiently to warrant overhauling
my audio equipment.

My problem with CDs over the past couple of years has been some poor
engineering.  Specifically, engineering purposely intended to give
rich and bright sound that I find overly rich, bright, and reverberant.
Unfortunately, the SACD format cannot erase the sound problems I am
concerned with.

Given the above, there are only two conditions under which I would change
my equipment:

1.  CDs are no longer manufactured.
2.  Something comes along that is much better than CDs, and SACD ain't it.

Why do I have the feeling that (1) will happen first?

Don Satz