From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Oct 2002 19:48:40 -0400
Mike Leghorn:

>I think that to be "almost" great at 31 (which is when he died)
>probably means that he would have been great at 40 or 50.  It is a
>tragedy that he died so young.  At times, his music is so sublimely
>beautiful, but not fully realized.  I wish I could hear the full
>realization of his genius.
>
>Btw, as I was exploring his music for a week, I couldn't help but hear
>Mahler in his music.  I'm now interested in the idea that Schubert was
>a primary influence on Mahler.

All this is ultimately subjective, but I cannot think of more than a
handfull of composers who are in the same class as Schubert.  Talley up
the piano sonatas, the two great trios, the quartets, the eighth and
ninth symphonies AND the songs- those incredible songs!!!  In the words
of another's song, who can ask for anything more?  Well I guess Mike can.

As for the Mahler influence, here I agree with Mike.  About twenty years
ago a Schubert adagio appeared which was put together with some other
late Schubert orchestral music to make what was then called the Seventh
Symphony.  (I may have some details garbled- but this is the essential
story.) The point is, that adagio was a clear forshadowing of Mahler.

Bernard Chasan