From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:55:25 -0800
Steven Schwartz ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>My guess is poor sales.  I'm disappointed too.  I'm also scared.  The
>costs of that series can't be all that great to produce.  Does this mean
>that Sony Classical is heading for the chopping block as well or that we
>will be treated to a release list of bon-bons?

The really worrying thing is that Sony hardly makes any new classical
recordings.

The head of Sony Classical peter (wash my mouth out) Gelb is on record as
saying "there is a lot of great music out there, I just don't want to
record it." (Gramophone 75th Anniversary issue).

So:  he doesn't intend to make new recordings and they're dropping their
reissue programme.

Watch out for Music from Titanic XXXIII, out any day now.....

Deryk Barker