From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jan 2000 15:17:56 PST
Iain Simons wrote:

>Why are there so few female composers?

Classical music composition has traditionally been a male enclave.  In this
age of "everyone can do whatever they want", I think the muber of female
composers has increased substantially.  Yet, it's still mostly guys who get
the exposure.

For this bad situation to be adequately resolved, my view is that
women need to exercise the control they potentially possess through their
purchasing dollars (recordings and live performances).  Where they identify
an inequity, hold back the bucks, attendance, and participation.

Currently, it is unfortunate that female composers appear to get recognized
substantially by their sexual preferences.  Just yesterday, I came across
another cd of this type on the CRI label.  The title was something like
"Lesbian Contemporary Composers" and had a listing in the back of the
included lesbian composers.  This type of knowledge I can do without.

We guys need something like the above, maybe a title such as
"High-Testosterone Male Composers".  I'd be happy to donate a little of
the stuff since I'm loaded with it.

Don Satz