From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 13:10:19 -0800
David Cozy:

>So these instinctive musicians are something like idiots savant?  Hmmm.
>I guess such creatures must exist, but I can't believe that there are
>too many bona fide idiots out there who are really savvy enough to be
>good musicians.

No no no.

I'ts all about priorities and how much of the composition that the
performer wants to leave "freed up" for instinct to have some reign.
Some prioritize architecture, etc.; and some prioritize surface beauties.
Those who prioritize the former can sometimes be tagged as "intellectual."
It doesn't end with performers.  What about composers who remove barlines
from their compositions--are they anti-intellectual for hiding the
architecture?

John Smyth
Sac, CA USA