From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 18:39:25 -0500
Ray Bayles wrote:

>We don't often see much mention of performances/ recordings of Reiner/
>Chicago.  I wonder why? I have a large number of Reiner/ Chicago recordings
>that are among my most prized works in my collection.  True the sound isn't
>DDD but wow, what great music they put out for a long number of years!

No idea, though there are those who find Reiner cold.  I have almost all of
his recordings and wouldn't be without them.  I don't find him cold at all,
usually, but sleek and powerful.  I too like the Beethoven 9th--it may not
be the best, but it's very exciting.  And vinyl nuts will tell you that the
sound of the pre-Dynagroove recordings not being DDD is an asset, not a
liability.  Some of the greatest sounding recordings made came from this
source.  Try the vinyl recording with Stravinsky's Song of the Nightingale.
1954 or 1955.  Astouding.  Or The Reiner Sound.  Either the originals, or
on Classic Reissues or on Chesky.  They don't all sound great, but many do,
and there are some galvinizing performances here.

Roger Hecht