From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 14:03:04 -0700
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm not entirely surprised if Chailly is your "reference".  He is not a
>conductor who I would rank anywhere when it comes to Bruckner.

Chailly isn't my reference for *all* the Bruckner symphonies that I like,
only #s 5&7.  For #4 I like the new Wand/BPO, #6 Klemperer/NPO (although
I'm definitely still looking, and may give Chailly's B6 a try), #8
Karajan/VPO, and #9...  well, still looking (maybe my pick would be
Karajan/BPO).

Anyway, I got to finally read Gramophone's full review of the Sinopoli B5
last night...  and the review is absolutely glowing...  However, they were
comparing it to recordings by Karajan and Welser-Most, two that would not
go on my short list...  the Welser-Most recording, I particularly dislike,
in spite of Gramophone's enthusiastic and consistent recommendation of it.
Nevertheless, I think I'll just go ahead and purchase it...  with such a
positive review, it certainly can't be a total disappointment.;-) And from
their comments, it seems to be along the lines of what I look for in
Bruckner...  poise, grandeur, and level-headed beauty.

Albie