From:
Michael Cervin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:09:31 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>I'm not very familiar with the recordings of Elgar's two Symphonies and
>would like some input concerning the version or versions you like best.

I'd suggest Mackerras on Decca/Argo (separate discs probably deleted,
but probably available in a budget box set).

Edward Elgar being one of the first great composers to save his thoughts
for posterity on disc, his own recordings on EMI demand a hearing. I
think Haitink (EMI Forte), Solti (Decca) and Previn (haven't heard them
myself, Philips Duo) may be worth the listening effort.

Anyone who has heard "Glorious John" Barbirolli?

Best wishes
Michael Cervin