From:
Bill Whitehead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:14:28 -0400
Elizabeth Gnidovec wrote:

>That being said, I think evaluating a standing ovation can be done
>just like an audience evaluates the musical performance: by listening.
>Even if the audience is standing, you can tell by the clapping, the
>bravos (or lack thereof) how the perfomance was received.  There are the
>spontaneous jumping out of your seat, clapping fast and furious standing
>ovations.  Then there are the leisurely, clapping politely ones.  I am
>sure the musicians and conductor can understand what they are hearing.

This is my first time writing but I have followed the various threads
on this list for a long time and sometimes am amused by the tendency to
beat some subjects to death, especially this one.  I just had to respond
to Elizabeth Gnidovec's comments that put the standing ovations issue
nicely in perspective and could very well stand as the last word on this
subject (please).  Bravo.

Bill Whitehead