From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:10:48 +0100
Kevin Sutton corrects me...

>>You'll have some output from me; taking account wen Copland wrote his
>>book in the beginning of the fifties (AFAIK published in 1952), a time wen
>>there still was no HIP movement (started 10 years later by Harnoncourt,
>>and not commercially viable until the eighties)
>
>Well, not really.  It actually started much earlier with the likes of the
>Dolmetsch family, Ralph Kirkpatrick, Wanda Landowska and others.  They
>maynot have gotten it completely right, but it was they, not Harnoncourt
>who started it all and much earlier than the 60's.

No Kevin, I'm not denying the history, but really; who started the HIP
movement really do not matter, and I could ad a few more early pioneers
that I was fully aware of aswell (even some from the other side of 1900),
but none of them was especially influential in wider musical circles, not
even Harnoncourt, and I do not realy think that we can call the few a
movement.  And I kind of think that HIP namedropping was not the real issu
here, but the fact that the HIP people was in a stunning minority until the
eighties.  Wheras today they claim a legitimate part of the musical life.

BTW, I even think the Copland must have been aware of some of the early
pioneers, not least an anomaly like Landowska.  But HIP as such was not an
issue for AC, but rather the lack of it.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)