From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 07:41:52 -0600
Roger Hecht wrote:

>Karl Miller wrote:
>
>>It amazes me that some films seem to work without music...perhaps because
>>they are good drama.  Yet, I often find that much of the music I hear
>>in films these days, seems to cheapen the expression...it can sound so
>>artificial.
>
>It was Bernard Herrmann's view that in most cases, movies wouldn't be
>"the movies" without the music.

Yes, I can understand that thinking...maybe I just don't care much
for movies.  When it comes to Herrmann's music, I find listening to the
music without the image to be more pleasurable.  For me, the images are
too distracting...I am reminded of the Fugue (by Krebs, arr.  by Herrmann)
in the score to Mysterious Island...I would rather just listen to it
than hear it while watching some people battle a 25 foot (or so) tall
chicken.

Its a bit like...I have quite a few soundtracks in my collection.
I have probably seen less than 2% of the films.  When I see the image
on the screen, the music becomes associated with that image...like I
find it difficult to appreciate the Sorcerror's Apprentice on its own
terms...and not think about Mickey Mouse.

Karl