From:
Daniel Beland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:08:27 -0400
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have to disagree with Daniel if he is (consciously or not) trying to
>convince us that Messiaen's music is more often performed and better known
>then Jolivet's because Messiaen had students to talk about and perform his
>works, "an army of admirers".

I indeed think that the issue is more complex than that!  But the fact
that Boulez and others played and recorded Messiaen's music while basically
ignoring Jolivet's output is probably a factor to take into account.  It
is always difficult to understand why some great composers such as Jolivet
are seldom performed.  In his case, I would say it is perhaps related both
related to the nature of his output (some works are quite austere) and the
limited number of famous international performers able to promote his
music.  But I am only guessing:-)

Daniel