From:
John Proffitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:56:36 -0600
Don Satz wrote:

>John Proffitt wrote:
>
>Performance Today is a major investment in the future of classical
>music in this country, by any estimation.  Two hours of commentary,
>features and--most of all--recorded musical performances from
>concert halls around the country.
>
>Great sales pitch.  I'll make a large contribution on Monday.

?? Why the hostility here? Of course I'm trying to "sell" something I
believe in.  Belief in the product--the programming--is the basis of public
radio.  Those of us who work in this business do it for the love of what we
do.

>Performance Today is not, in my mind, a major investment or "major" in any
>respect.  Two hours per day? Big deal.  Perhaps John, who routinely lets
>us know that he's connected with the world of broadcasting, is displaying
>a little bias.

I'll be a bit more specific.  There is nothing--nada--on the air even
remotely comparable to Performance Today.  It costs a small fortune
for a non-profit organization like NPR to produce this show.  No one
else--commercial or non-commercial--does it.  That, ipso facto, qualifies
as a "major investment" in my book.

And of course I'm biased.  I have devoted my career to public radio and
the broadcasting of classical music.  My cards are always on the table.

John M. Proffitt
General Manager & C.E.O.
Radio Station KUHF-FM

 [There's a considerable difference between being biased and being informed.
 -Dave]