From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 10:30:20 PDT
Joe Hagedorn wrote:

>So for good clarinet works we have Brahms, Briccialdi, Copland,
>Corigliano, Crusell, Finzi, Fuchs, Krommer, Mozart, Nielsen, Reicha,
>Stanford, Stravinsky and Weber?  What CD's are woth picking up?

A ton of them are very worthy of purchase.  These are just a few:

a.  Brahms clarinet sonatas - Leister/Oppitz on Orfeo.

b.  Brahms clarinet quintet - Shifrin/Emerson on DG and Puddy/Delme String
Quartet on IMP (formerly on MCA).

c.  Crusell clarinet concertos - Emma Johnson on ASV, Leister on BIS, and
Thea King on Hyperion.

d.  Crusell clarinet quartets - Vanska on BIS.

e.  Finzi clarinet concerto - Naxos and Thea King on Hyperion.

f.  Fuchs clarinet quintet - King on Hyperion.

g.  Krommer clarinet quartets - Klocker on a 2-cd set (CPO).

h.  Mozart clarinet concerto - Bohm on DG coupled with the Flute and Harp
concerto.

i.  Mozart clarinet quintet - Mosaiques on Astree and Sabine Meyer on
Denon.

j.  Reicha clarinet quintet - L'Archibudelli on Sony Vivarte coupled with
Hummel and Weber.

K.  Weber clarinet chamber works - Special mention for a Chandos disc of
the clarinet quintet, Silvana Variations, and Grand Duo Concertant for
clarinet and piano. Performers are Janet Hilton and the Lindsay String
quartet.  This is a superb recording.  I'm giving this one extra ink since
Joe wrote of a major liking for Weber.

Don Satz