From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:19:37 -0600
Roy Ellefsen wrote:

>Kosman's article reminded me that I have been wanting to get a recording of
>this famous Elgar piece, which, incidentally, I have never heard performed,
>for some time now.  Can someone out there recommend a good recording.
>Price matters, but is not to the exclusion of quality.

By all means start with the Barbirolli recording recently reissued on EMI.
The soloists are Richard Lewis, Janet Baker and Kim Borg.  Another very
fine recording is conducted by Benjamin Britten with Sir Peter Pears,
Sheila Armstrong and John Shirley Quirk as soloists.  Regrettably, the
reissue does not contain Dame Janet's wonderful rendition of Sea Pictures
which the old edition has, but this is available with DuPre's recording
of the cello concerto.  All of the above are must haves!

Kevin Sutton