From:
Andrys Basten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 15:37:18 -0800
Wes Crone wrote:

>I did like them more than usual.  I think I am just not a fan of the light
>flaky music which I associate with Vivaldi.  I don't mind light but I won't
>stand for flaky.  Maybe this is how I feel about Mozart and the reason I
>just can't listen to his music either.

Mozart had light and heavy pieces, and I can't imagine generalizing about
his music as light and flaky (as seems implied but maybe I'm misreading).

Do you play piano? Get a copy sometime of the Mozart symphonies for 4 hands
-- it's a sure way to hear all the wonderful things that are happening,
fascinating progressions, in the symphony #40 and others.

Some orchestras have played him in such smoothed out fashion that he just
seems light and pretty where he isn't.  Granted, he wrote a lot of fluff
as requested too.

>I'll take some Henry Purcell or Marin Marais or Matthew Locke any day of
>the week.  Bottom line:  I don't think you'll find anything from Vivaldi
>that will interest you any more than the 4 seasons.

Wrong bottom line - I have no liking for his 4 seasons though I might
admire certain things about them.  I just don't care to hear them.  But
I love other works of Vivaldi, and mainly some interesting works found by
going into the library to find interesting works to play in a small group
that loves to play.

Andrys in Berkeley
http://www.andrys.com/books.html
Search sheet music, videos, CDs, books