From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 19:48:18 -0800
Donald Satz comments about upcoming offerings of jazz and contemporary
improvisations of Chopin, and wonders if it is an ill-attempt to redefine
the CM landscape:

>Further, I notice that these attempts are now connected to terms such as
>"programming genius" and "brilliant example" to convey the notion that
>the best people are going in this direction.  Does any of this remind you
>of the Fountainhead?

IIRC, in HC Schoenberg's book, "The Great Pianists," composers up to
Debussy fully expected their works to be improvised.  And I believe this
statement was emphasized by italics.  So maybe the above is a re-capturing
of an overlooked practice? (Not the Jazz improv, of course!)

John Smyth (working on his pronoun agreement and plural possessives)