From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 23:00:07 -0600
Robert Peters replies to Mike Leghorn:

>>What I don't like about the movie "Amadeus" is how it makes Mozart
>>more appealing to the masses, for the wrong reasons.
>
>Could you tell the list what are the RIGHT reasons to make Mozart more
>appealing to the masses?

IMO, the right reason to like Mozart is for who he really was, and the
most revealing record we have of who he was is his music.

>>One person I know said her favorite composers were Mozart and Vivaldi.
>>Reasons: 1) she saw Amadeus, 2) she had a CD of "The Four Seasons" played
>>by Nigel Kennedy (who has a really cool hairdo, and doesn't play like
>>everybody else).  ...  spike hairdos.  She also has the Beethoven late
>>Quartets -- she heard or read somewhere that this was Beethoven's best
>>music.  Most of her collection is "alternative" (that word really cracks
>>me up!).
>
>Why? Leave the lady alone!  It is her decision to like Vivaldi because
>Kennedy is cool!  No one has to be a scholar to have the right to buy a CD.
>You sound pretty arrogant.

Yikes!  Excuse me!  I never said people have to be scholars in order to
have the right to buy CDs.  It's a free market, and let's face it, cool
hairdos sell.

>>It's great if the movie Amadeus gets people more interested in Mozart.
>>However, they're interested for the wrong reasons.  How do you get them
>>interested for the right reasons? Solving world hunger may be easier.
>
>Tasteless remark.

Why?

>There are scenes in the movie where Mozart conducts from the keyboard.
>And the movie is not about historical accuracy.  And do you remember how
>lively and happy Leonard Bernstein could look when he conducted?

Yes, but there are also scenes where he conducts from a podium.  In order
for my disbelieve to be suspended, there needs to be some historical
accuracy.  What if the characters wore jeans and 'T' shirts? To someone who
is completely ignorant of how fashions have changed over the centuries,
that would be OK.

>>3) Mozart's critique and suggestions for the little march composed by
>>Salieri, and played by the Emperor was ridiculous.  The piece was supposed
>>to be simple enough for the Emperor to play.  I'm sure Salieri was capable
>>of writing more complex music.
>
>Goodness, it is ART!!!!  The scene's function was to show Mozart's (the
>movie's Mozart, not the historical one) stupidity when treating people.  He
>just doesn't realize that he humiliates Salieri.  - And by the way: Mozart
>tries to better a simple march, you try to better people who buy classical
>music out of the "wrong" reasons.

Goodness, I'm only offering my opinion!!!!  In the movie, Mozart did more
than "better" a simple march -- he went nuts with it.  Are we talking about
the same movie?

>...  I am not an opera hater but I like productions with a little bit of
>meat.  But I guess I might be liking opera for the "wrong" reasons in your
>eyes.

You've disagreed (strongly) with every point I've made.  What a strange
coincidence that we should be perfect opposites of each other.  I guess
I should be glad that I'm me, and not you:-)

Mike