From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:46:23 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

>I do have a question about the audience when this work is performed.  I was
>almost in a state of giggles during the performance.  Most of the audience
>sat in reverential silence.  It is something of a challenge to know what is
>the correct concert etiquette to adopt during performances of this piece.
>Any help?

I don't really know what your opinion on "proper" concert etiquette for
4'33" is so I will give my suggestion.  Personally, I feel that 4'33" is
an ideal time to head back into the lobby and get a snack or maybe even
use the restroom.  I mean, certainly in such deafening silence the crowd
will hear the shuffling of your feet, but then again...isn't 4'33" really
a study in silence and the "music" whis is still present in the face os
silence? Besides, I would really like to be free of restroom obligations
when the band strikes up with Brahms' first symphony!

Wes