From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 10:55:57 -0600
Achim Breiling wrote:

>Yesterday I came across a Telarc CD (CD-80489) that came out a couple
>of years ago, with the title: "A Window in Time: Rachmaninoff Performs
>His Solo Piano Works.".  As I understood R's famous recordings on Ampico
>rolls were scanned and transformed using a special program into files
>that were played on a Boesendorfer piano in a concert hall.  Thus, as the
>notes on the back of the CD promiss, one won't be able to distinguish this
>recording from a "recent" studio recording made by Rachmaninov.  Anybody
>heard this? Comments?

I have listened to both issues.  The limitation of the early Ampico rolls
is that the dynamics were not recorded as each note was played.  The later
Ampico rolls, the "B" version was indeed better.  The transfers for the
Teldec issues are terrific, and, I believe, accurately represent what is
on the roll.  However, as one listens, there is an unearthly quality to
the dynamics.  For the early Ampicos, the dynamics were added after the
playing.  Ampico had some highly qualified people who would be present
during the recording session and notate the dynamic level of the pianist.
These notations would later be added to the roll.  The problem is that no
pianist on earth plays a scale or anything with an even dynamic level for
each subsequent attack.  As a pianist you work for that much of your life,
but it just doesn't happen...even if you were Rachmaninoff.  This
smoothness of the dynamics may have lead Rachmaninoff to state after
hearing a playback, "it sounds like I wish I could play."

There were other systems, like the Ampico B and the Welte which would
record the dynamic level as each note was played.

If you have interest in such things...

Now a chance to plug the issues on my label, Pierian.  We have issued the
Debussy, Granados and Bloomfield Zeisler Welte rolls.  Our next issue will
feature all of the Ravel rolls, including the Duo Arts, which did not
include the dynamics at the time of the recording.

All are available at Amazon.com and towerrecords.com

I believe the Telarc issues are great, with the limitation being the roll
itself.  Unfortunately, Rachmaninoff did not record Welte rolls.

Karl