From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:09:20 -0500
John Gallant writes:

>The frequency and perhaps length of "under-writing" sponsorship
>announcements does seem to be increasing.  But a much more striking change
>in the last half dozen years or so is the *number* of NPR stations which
>have simply thrown out recorded classical music (or in some cases all kinds
>of music) altogether.  Has anyone kept track of this trend?  My impression
>is that it must apply to a clear majority of the NPR stations which used to
>broadcast CM.

In Boston it is 50-50.  WBUR was a strong classical music outlet until the
current management phased it out over the last fifteen years or so.  Now
there is no classical music and no jazz, until midnight at least.  It is
now the station ohne musik.  WBUR instead features what is known as "THE
NEWS".

WGBH still does a decent job, having weathered the loss of Robert J.
Luertsma with its classical commitment still reasonably in place.  Robert
J's successor, Doug Briscoe, is knowledgable and loves music.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University