From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:43:34 -0500
Steve Schwartz wrote:

>in their keyboard writing.  Scriabin derives from Chopin.  Rachmaninov,
>Busoni, and Medtner seem to me to play around with Liszt and Chopin.

For me, in the late works, Scriabin went beyond Chopin.  Also, for me,
while Medtner played around with Liszt and Chopin, he also was influenced
by his good friend Rachmaninov.  Perhaps I cannot be objective about
Rachmaninov, while he did not write as much music for the piano as Liszt
or Chopin, his works, especially the Preludes, Etude Tableaux (for me,
the best of his writing), the Chopin and Corelli variations and the
Sonatas, in their various versions, are as significant to the literature
as works like the Liszt Sonata (which for me is one of his most remarkable
works).  I know my perspective is probably more subjective than objective.

Karl