From:
Hiroaki Fujita <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 20:10:21 +0900
Juozas Rimas wrote:

>The following text is not meant to be politically incorect.  I've been
>told several times that Japenese are not able to play classical music
>properly (?) because they can't have the cultural experience of the West.

Today, Japanese people listen to classical music as well as western people.
There are many concserts and CDs in Japan.  On the other hand, traditional
musics are going to be forgot.  It maybe a serious problem.

Mitsuko Uchida is a pianist who plays Mozart and Schubert very well.  Akiko
Suwanai is a violinist.  Maybe a genius.

However, Japanese orchestras are not so good.  They play so steady without
any mistakes.  But not dynamic, not colorful.  It's monotonous.

It is sometimes told that their sense of colors in sound is different from
Europeans'.

One of the reasons is humidity.  It rains so much in Japan.  Because
of high level humidity, strings get water, and sound will be cloudy,
photographs, films cannnot catch brilliant colors, and people can have
soft and smooth skin.

Hiroaki Fujita