From:
Ramon Khalona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:56:27 -0400
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>For revelatory on the Bartok quartets I have only one word: Tatrai!

Agreed.  I find that the Tatrai, followed by the Hungarian Quartet (now
on DG Originals) provide the most idiomatic interpretation of these
masterpieces.  At the other end of the interpretive range, I would place
the Tokyo String Quartet (first recording for DG, now reissued by MHS),
followed by the Emerson as providing very muscular and incisive
interpretations.

Ramon Khalona
Carlsbad, California