From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 07:55:39 -0600
Michael Cooper wrote:

>Regardless of whether recordings are good for concerts or vice versa,
>I want to mention that this LIST is definitely good for classical music.

I agree.  There are times when I feel that classical music has become
so marginalized, given so little value in society, that it will only
"survive" in some compromised form, compromised to the extent that it
no longer functions as art.

I guess I am feeling so negative when I see changes to our local classical
station and the music school here at the University.  The station now
markets itself as "music for your lifestyle." And then our Music School
has been offered a substantial donation provided they increase the
offerings in popular music...which, I fear, will lead to a reduction in
the offerings in classical music...assuming one can make such distinctions
between popular and classical music.

I am reminded of a discussion I had some time ago with one of our
ethnomusicology students. She said something like, "Symphony orchestras
are irrelevant today, a throw back to an earlier era."

Adding to my depression...yesterday I found out that our local Tower
Records is going to close.  Russell, the guy who managed the classical
section, has over 20 years experience as a classical manager and knows
so much about classical music recordings, is about to lose his job.

Reading this list reminds me that there are still some people out there
who are informed and place great value in what we call classical music,
something I find very comforting.

Karl