From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Nov 2003 15:16:13 -0800
I currently read my email from the library, not at home, so it is usually
difficult to give specific dates, labels, etc., but I would note that
two good additions to a collection of recordings of the B-minor Sonata
include live versions by Arrau and Gilels.  The Gilels is accompanied
by Beethoven's Waldstein and opus 101.  The Arrau CD is all from one
recital and comes with Beethoven's opus 27 no. 1, and some Chopin pieces
including the F-minor ballade.  The latter also has some great, if poorly
translated, program notes about how Arrau searched hard for the perfect
foil to the Liszt sonata to complete the first portion of a recital.

Also, one of the most memorable concert events of my life was Kissin
performing the sonata in Chicago, but I believe there is not an available
recording.

Michael Cooper