From:
"Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:14:16 -0400
Deryk Barker wrote:

>Of course the name Oedipus is Greek and should be pronounced something
>like Oidipos.

Of course the arguments over the correct pronunciation of the two
"Classical languages" of the Western world, Latin and Greek have been
going on for a good few centuries.  As well-known in Latin we have
accepted scholarly reconstructed pronunciation and we also have Church
Italianate pronunciation with variants in Germany, etc.  In Greek we
have Modern Greek pronunciation of Classical Greek as well as what Modern
Greeks call Erasmic (or some such) pronunciation.  Be that as it may,
the accepted scholarly pronunciation of the name of "Swell-Foot" would
be the same in Latin and Greek, /oydipu:s/.  Now, if it is accepted
netiquette to say that a work doesn't appeal to one, I shall so say with
Stravinsky's Oedipus Rex "Opera-Oratorio in two acts".  I have Stravinsky
conducting and Jean Cocteau narrating and find the work boring.  But one
cannot like everything and the odds are 99 to 1 that I will never listen
to most of the things discussed on this list.  But nevertheless it is
of interest.  The Stravinsky is a case in point of a CD and libretto
that I would not think of parting with even though it doesn't appeal
to me.  The occasion comes every now and then to discuss it and thus
I need it.

Yoel