From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:48:26 PST
Although it can be a little embarrassing to revise a previous opinion
provided to the List about a recording, simple honesty mandates it be
done.  In my initial posting on this thread, I was complimentary of Goebel's
orchestral contributions but felt that the special qualities he brought to
the Brandenburgs and Orchestral Suites were absent from this cantata
recording.

Last night, I was listening to the Schafer/Goebel cd again and found
that my previous perception was off the mark.  Goebel, in the fast paced
sections, is absolutely thrilling as in his Bach orchestral recordings.
He uses very fast tempos expertly, almost to the point of seeming to verge
on the chaotic, but never going beyond the edge.  Playing the cd at a
high volume with headphones, I felt as if my brain was spinning into a
thoroughly intense celestial orbit - similar to listening decades ago to
the Moody Blues on mind altering substances.  It's an exciting ride, and
Goebel does it better than any other period instrument conductor.

My so-so opinion of Christine Schafer's singing has not changed, and
since she's the only vocal soloist on the cd, I can't give an unqualified
recommendation to the disc.  But, if the excitement Goebel generates is up
your alley, the cd will prvide much pleasure.

Don Satz